Climate Controlled Storage
Warehouse facilities come in various shapes and sizes. Many are completely on one single level and others are in multi-story buildings with freight elevators to move goods in and out of the facility.
Often, you will be able to drive right up to the door of your storage unit , unload your goods, open up the door to the unit and load everything into the unit. This is very convenient especially if you will be adding or removing items from the unit regularly.
Warehouse operators usually offer several different unit size options and many are capable of creating a space the size you need by moving temporary portable walls. If you need a climate control space to protect your goods against damage, there are many warehouses that offer this option for a price. Some facilities offer only non climate controlled units while others offer both climate and non climate controlled units. You may be able to use the climate controlled option for items that need it and use non climate controlled options for the remainder of your items. This saves you some money as you are not paying for climate control for items that do not need it.
When visiting a storage facility to inquire about their services note the cleanliness of the warehouse both inside and outside. Also take note of the people working there. Would you want them looking after your items?
Here are some quick tips on what to look for when visiting a facility.
- Are the facility grounds well taken care of?
- Is there overgrown vegetation growing up against the facility walls? - Vermin love to hide out in vegetation and can burrow their way into the building
- Is the security fence intact?
- Are the parking areas well maintained?
- Is the outside of the facility well lit?
- Are there bait boxes for pests outside? Are these well maintained and is the bait changed regularly?
- Is the inside well lit and maintained?
- Are there smoke alarms in the building?
- Are there fire extinguishers and ceiling sprinklers visible?
- Is smoking allowed in the facility? Some facilities allow smoking in the office area only, some allow no smoking at all.
- Is the staff courteous and presentable?
Many of the items you plan on storing may require some type to climate control in order to remain in good condition. If you are inspecting a warehouse facility that offers controlled environmental storage ask them how they monitor the climate. Are the rooms alarmed to warn if the temperature or humidity levels are not at the correct levels? If there is a power outage, does the warehouse have backup generators?
Does the warehouse have temperature and humidity chart recorders or other devices such as PC interfaces to monitor the conditions in the units?
- Paper products such as files or important documents may rot due to high humidity
- Electronics such as computers
- Home furnishings especially antiques may get wood rot if stored in high humidity
- Furs – You may want to store in a cold environment during the summer months when not in use
- Mattresses – dampness can destroy mattresses with mold growth and rust in the metal springs
- Musical instruments such as pianos that may be sensitive to changes in environmental conditions especially humidity may rust and the wood can rot
Humidity controlItems that are sensitive to high humidity are generally stored in rooms with humidity at levels that are below 55 RH (Relative Humidity). Molds and mildew can grow on most surfaces and can spread easily as the spores can become air borne however mold and mildew growth is inhibited at 55 RH. For example, an old leather jacket after stored in the attic or basement for a period of time can smell musty and be covered in white spots; this is mildew.
High humidity can also be a cause of iron objects to rust, and the higher the humidity the more rapid the corrosion.
Furs are stored in cold conditions during the summer to prevent hardening of leather due to oil loss from excessive heat and humidity; this hardening causes the shedding of fur coats. Damage from moths and insects can be extensive in furs, so taking steps to prevent this is key. Cold storage is an excellent choice as the cold naturally kills off bugs.
Humidity and Temperature control
If your belongings need both temperature and humidity control, this is the option you should choose. As you can imagine however, it is probably the most costly option.
- Full Service Company
- Local and Long-distance
- Residential & Commercial
- Professional Piano Movers
- Small & Large Moves
- Overnight Storage
- Long-Term Storage
- Climate-Controlled Storage
- Loading & Unloading
- Packing & Unpacking
- Licensed, bonded, and insured
- Free onsite and video estimates