10 Moving Tips
Moving day can be chaotic and overwhelming. But it doesn't have to be. With smart planning, you can keep helpers and hired movers comfortable and sage, making the process go much more smoothly and efficient.
- Be visible on moving day. It is important to remain present at all times on moving day; never leave before your helpers do. If you must leave, let your workers know who can answer their questions when you’re not around.
- Have extra supplies for the packers. Movers and helpers are there to help you pack, so be sure you have plenty of moving supplies on deck (boxes, tape, bubble wrap, etc.) to get the job done.
- Don't overload boxes. Keep the weight of each box reasonable so one person can easily carry it
- Clearly Mark boxes.
Mark boxes "HEAVY: BOOKS" to warn movers. To avoid spills and breaks,
write "FRAGILE" and "THIS END UP." Also write the destination room and contents to make
unpacking easier for movers/helpers. For long distance moves, write your name and destination
address on each packing label to be sure the company doesn't confuse your boxes with someone
- Pad items well.
Be sure that sharp edges are well covered and/or padded to avoid injury.
- Check the lighting, temperature.
Turn on lights and heat or air conditioning to keep your
movers comfortable while working inside.
- Use Moving Mats.
On rainy or snowy days, it is important to guard against wet and muddy
surfaces. Moving mats help protect floors from dirt and help protect the moving crew fromslipping.
- Keep Moving Paths Clear.
Make it easier for the moving company to work. If necessary, take
down stairwell handrails, trim bushes and trees, and prop open gates or doors to aid access.
Have the dog confined to a space out of the way, clear children and/or toys out of the movers'
- Vacuum sofa before moving day.
It's more pleasant and convenient to move a large chair or
sofa that isn't overly dusty or covered with animal hair. (vacuum under the cushions too!)
- Have snacks and beverages on hand.
Plan for one or more snacks/beverages, especially if the
moving day is long. It is important to keep the mover hydrated and nourished to work efficiently!
- Full Service Company
- Local and Long-distance
- Residential & Commercial
- Professional Piano Movers
- Small & Large Moves
- Overnight Storage
- Long-Term Storage
- Climate-Controlled Storage
- Loading & Unloading
- Packing & Unpacking
- Licensed, bonded, and insured
- Free onsite and video estimates