It is common knowledge that moving your goods can be a stressful experience and you may lose sleep till all the items reach safe at your end destination. In the light of this, it may be worthwhile to find out if there can be any secret tips for successful movement of goods.
- You must plan your move sufficiently in advance - preferably 4 weeks or even longer, if possible.
- You should thereafter apply your mind to determine the goods you need to transport and if there are any superfluous items, it is best to either gift or discard them.
- The obvious next step would be to identify a reputed and reliable moving company with an impeccable track record. You can ask your friends, colleagues and neighbors for recommendation.
- Try to obtain quotes from minimum three different moving companies. It is strictly not advisable to opt for the lowest quote. You should also bear in mind the reliability of the mover and the safety of your goods.
- Be particularly cautious of estimates that are significantly lower than the rest. Avoid receiving oral quotes or quotes over phone.
- All the estimates must be in writing and it is preferable that the moving company submits the estimate after inspecting the goods to be transported.
- Once you receive the estimates, make sure that all the costs are included therein and there are no hidden costs.
- The moving company you select should be authentic as some companies that advertise are merely brokers.
- Once you select the company, you should contact the Better Business Bureau for their feedback information.
- It is important that at least three weeks before the scheduled moving you should make reservation with the moving company.
- Obtain written information about how to contact the Chicago mover before, during and after the move. Make sure they will be willing to keep you regularly informed about the progress of the move.
- It is of paramount importance that they are properly licensed with the Public Utilities Commission and Department of Transportation, and have adequate insurance.
- Find out specifically what the mover's responsibilities are for damages that may be caused to your goods in transit.
- Scrupulously avoid signing blank or incomplete documents and make sure you get everything written in clear unambiguous language.
- Make arrangements for your utilities to be hooked up at your new home and disconnected at your old one. You have to do this in advance so that you have such items as phone and electricity at the old home during the move and also have them when you reach your new home.
- You can buy boxes and packing material from a moving company or other sources, but that can be expensive. Instead, ask grocery stores, electronics stores and office supply stores for their discarded boxes. Invest in a tape gun, and start saving up newspapers - so that you have plenty of packing material
- Be present when the Chicago movers arrive at your house to pack and leave with your goods. It is in common interest to prepare a list of goods to be transported and the condition of each item - signed by the transporter. This will be a key document for claiming damages.